Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WRITING - In Season and out of Season


Yes, I'm a good one to write on this :) I have not really written anything new for months! It felt like the deep life giving well of writing has been dumped closed with heavy, rough rocks of life and circumstances. I felt like a sad but excited dog that has buried its very special bone deep in the sand and then had forgotten the spot but remembered the sweet memory.

The demands of life has taken its toll. Leaving our beloved Turkey unexpectedly without visas not knowing when we or even ever if we will be back. Living again in our home country trying to put our lives back together, and then for months having to wait for the dear or dreaded phone call with the answer on our visa situation. It felt like enough stress to rob anyone of wanting to write anything. Coming back and settling into our home, community and school again. I feel like I have had quite a journey... and writing, developing my gift has been there but not being celebrated and enjoyed. Rather like a voice shouting as a reminder of a time that has been and not sure of a time to come.

To me writing feels like one of those gifts that comes from deep within. Like a fountain welling up and then when the setting, timing and moment is right I will grab the paper, pen and find a spot to sit, drink and spill unto the paper to let it flow and flow. For months it felt like my life has been on its head and I have not found the time, willpower or energy to sit and write. I have felt the Lord stir my heart at times but nothing really came of it.

Recently we received a team that came through our city. Our family went along and I was part of the welcoming party setting the table with a pretty table cloth, tea lights, cake, tea, coffee etc. My husband was going to share a short message to this group and encourage them on their time here in our city. He started of with asking them on what they were given by the Master. The more he shared on this, the more my heart was stirred. It felt like this message from the Bible about the talents that was given to the stewards and what they did with it, was just for me.

What would I like my Master to find when he returns? How am I using it? What a honor it is to be rewarded with talents to serve our Master. Have I been faithful with the talents he has given me, in and out of season? Have I only been faithful using this gift when I felt good and like it? I knew this message was for me on using my gift of writing. I made a new commitment that night to develop and use my gift for His glory. To dig open the well of writing deep within my heart and soul, and draw from its cool fresh fountain of water to bless and spill over.

Off course I struggle with thoughts like: "Excuse me maybe its not your best, or even possible not a gift at all!" or "Who do you think you are to think someone would want to read the rumbles of what you think you want to say!" But I need to be faithful with what He has given me in and out of season. I embrace the honor to serve my Master se when He return I can offer this talent to Him as a blessing. The beauty of writing is that it often blesses the one that does it sometimes even more than the one reading it.

How has your journey and season been on writing and using this talent for His honor? Has it ever felt like the circumstances of life has thrown a few rocks deep within the well of your soul of writing too? How do you keep this fountain flowing? Do you write when you are stirred to do so or do you write as an action of discipline?

3 comments:

Belinda Chaplin said...

Thank-you for this... I think the same as you about the writing gift, it was if you reading my mind!
bless you as you stay faithful to what God has gifted you in...

Karin said...

Thank you Belinda encouraging to hear from you. Yes, may the wells of writing be dug open and may it freely flow for you too. Your writing inspire me, keep it up.

Cjdusse said...

Thank you Karin for writing this post. It resonates deeply with me because life circumstances were too much for me recently and I find myself at a dry well Wanting to write but I just can't. It is really a word for me from God.... a gentle nudge from Him to trust Him in writing again.