Tuesday, December 28, 2010

WHY WRITE SOMETING?


Sitting outside in the garden on my well weathered chair listening to the raindrops drizzling, tapping on the leaves as it falls... I sit pondering over this question. Actually I have just finished writing an article that was wrapped up in my heart for weeks. It was like something beautiful asking to come out of the dark to be seen, loved and appreciated.

Hidden in the darkness of a cocoon lays the promise of a beautiful butterfly. When it pushes out of the cocoon, that is when the world can appreciate the depth of the colors on its wings and the beauty of its flight. As I write, I come alive touched by the joy of expression, and shocked by the power of a soul in flight with words.

No I'm no famous writer, only a few of my articles have been printed. English is not my first language and to my shame and disappointment I was not interested in grammar or comprehension in school. "So why do I write?" you would ask. Writing has always been like a song in my heart, an echo coming through. A desire that has been there, like a friend knocking on the door of my heart to come in. Ideas for articles will come floating through my mind and get stuck somewhere between my heart and brain. Forever I would sit writing in my head and think, wow that would be great to write about. I start recognizing these impressions and desires as God urging me on to put these impressions in sentences on paper.

Firstly and insecure I wrote about my impressions after visiting a friends grandmother. How amazing it felt to have expressed those deep emotions and experiences running in and out on paper that day. I was so excited and encouraged after reading what I have written.

Then I started writing experiences in my past, things that I thought needed to be expressed, worked through and brought into words. A thought would come into my mind and it would stay, when I have a moment I would sit and play with it. How will I start the article? What would be the first paragraph? What would be the main ideas? Often I would wake up in the middle of the night and lay writing in my head. It would be like a story being written long before it is written in ink on paper.

"It must be a gift." my husband said. For me it is a blend of a gift from God and a canal to let my thoughts run through. Writing has helped me work with and through unresolved issues in my past. Writing about difficult situations has helped me to see clearly, to understand and even gain answers. It is a soundboard for those experiences never uttered. A voice for my emotions. I hope that hearts would be touched, people helped, and God at work in minds through what I write.

Why should you write? Who do you think you are? Why do you think people would even want to read what you write? These are not the important questions but questions that often come into my mind! It is valid questions, but I can not allow it to lead me out of writing.

Do you have a desire to write? Do you dream about writing your heart? Do you feel you have something to tell? These are the questions we should ask.

"Do it for yourself!" Is my expression on starting to write. Start to write your heart, through experience and exercise the skill will come. Do not let fear keep you from writing. There is articles and books that needs to be written. Do not underestimate what God can do through the gifts that He has given you. If you dream about writing, then you have something to say. Start a blog or newsletter. Stretch your legs a bit with small projects. Read blogs of other writers and books written on developing writing skills.

Write, but do not keep silent. The world do need to hear more stories of lives touched and changed by God.

3 comments:

anti snore said...

Thanks for sharing your story.

snore stop said...

The great story.Thanks a lot.

Cjdusse said...

Thanks Karin... what you have said resonates deeply with me... I am always writing... in my head and thoughts or on paper or wherever and I slowly come to the understanding that it is a gift I have neglected and I want to embrace the fullness of it and write more intentionally.