Friday, December 31, 2010

A Heart of Stone or a String of Pearls...


With tears on my cheeks and an ache in my heart... I gently but slowly run my fingers over the smooth, cold, colorful string of pearls. Playing with it through my fingers I think of how precious and beautiful this string of pearls are. Not just the string as such but the thought of my dear friends at home in Africa blessing me with this gift for my Birthday. I felt so blessed but my thoughts came back to my heart. The reason why there is tears at this precious moment.

As wet as the tears felt on my cheeks so dry my heart lays as a barren patch of untoiled ground. Oh how I have struggled the last few days to come to a point of understanding, choosing forgiveness.

How beautiful each pearl shines its colors. With deep dark colors of blue, purple, brown, peach, mother of pearl and even gold colors. How precious each pearl lays. The deep beauty of each pearl is in how it was formed. From a nothing grain of sand entering a shellfish. Through months of pain, rubbing and uncomfortable toleration there it is a beautiful pearl. Perfect, precious and breathtaking.

How true of my own heart I thought. How can I choose not to forgive? How could I have allowed unforgiveness to creep in and steal my joy, love and peace. If I could have just allowed forgiveness to come in immediately, I could have had a beautiful string of pearls draped in my heart. A rememberance of forgiveness, submission, and turning the other cheek. A gift of honor and love to Him.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hands and headed up the stairs to go place this precious, extrafagant piece of jewelery somewhere on my dresser so I can see it and appreciate it daily.

I draped it hanging over the edge of a glass jar spilling onto my dresser. My eye caught the grey, hard, rough beton heart my daughter picked up on the beach this summer. What comparison these two have. The one is soft and silky formed by pain and the other so hard and harsh made by man. I picked up the heart and made it stand in the jar with the pearls.

I felt the words rise in my heart as I stare at the picture in the jar. "Karin, you could walk with unforgiveness and have a heart of stone and beton....or you could choose to forgive and have a string of pearls draped in your heart." I was shocked and in awe of the pain, truth and beauty of these words.

Through yielding, forgiving and often making painful choices God brings forth beauty and life. I choose to rather have a string of pearls honoring Him....choosing to forgive.

2 comments:

snore stop said...

Keep posting your good
blogs.

insurance quotes. said...

Nice posting. Thank you for sharing.